Friday, March 22, 2013

Quiche with a Brown Rice Crust

I knew I would have an overabundance of cooked brown rice this week due to making Glory Bowls for lunch, and I wanted to try a new recipe.  I searched "brown rice" in all of my favorite recipe spots and nothing piqued my interest, so I asked my awesome cook friend at work.  She said she loved anything with a brown rice crust - casserole, quiche, etc.  Hmmm... this had promise.


Quiche is so flexible with choices of filling that I had to try it.  It's also a good way to empty your fridge of old veggies sneak extra veggies into a meal.  I didn't go to wild with this filling.  I just used tried and true combos.  But there's so much potential!


Of course, I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, so I didn't take any pictures while I was making it.  I thought it was blog-worthy when I got a text from the husband at lunch with the comment, "Good quiche, hun!"

The verdict: Good!  A flexible recipe that can suit anyone's tastes, and it's healthy to boot.
The husband's thoughts: Very good, and great with a little hot sauce.
Changes for next time: None, just trying a different filling combo for fun, and maybe an herb or two.
Difficulty: Easy

Quiche with a Brown Rice Crust
Makes 6 servings

Crust:
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 egg white (keep yolk for filling)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated

Filling:
4 whole eggs + 1 yolk, beaten
1 cup milk (I used skim)
2 cups of your veggies/meat of choice (I used caramelized onions, mushrooms, garlic, ham, and sauteed kale)
1/4-1/2 cup cheese, shredded (optional)
Salt & pepper to taste
Additional seasonings to taste (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Beat egg white a bit and mix in rice and cheese.  Press into greased pie plate (mine happens to be deep-dish).  Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden.  Remove from oven and let cool while you mix together the filling.

If your filling needs to be sauteed or cooked, now's the time!  I caramelized my onions first, then added in garlic, mushrooms, and kale to soften a bit.  Then the ham, just to meld the flavors.

Beat the eggs, yolk, and milk in large bowl.  Add seasoning of preference (I like seasoning salt).  Mix in your veggies, meat, and cheese.  Pour into crust.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes until the top is golden-brown and filling is set.  Let cool a few minutes before cutting and serving.  It's great with a green salad on the side!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment