Monday, January 2, 2012

Chocolate-Mint Cookies

Why did I have an urge to bake cookies so soon post-holiday?  I mean really, I had enough sugar the past two weeks that I expected to be set until next Halloween.  Perhaps it's a cookie withdrawal.  But, an urge I had, and the boyfriend was on-board with more cookies, so there it is.



This cookie base was originally introduced to me by a coworker last Christmas.  She and her now-husband had made little bags of goodies for everyone at work, and there was this amazing chocolate cookie included.  I experienced part of heaven in that cookie, and had to ask for the recipe.  This was one of the many recipe requests I had made, so I think they were a bit concerned about me pilfering all of these recipes.  Anyway, gave it to me they did, and it's wonderful!



It's a perfect chocolate cookie base for any combination of flavors.  Here I feature Andes mints, but I've also used it for macadamia and white chocolate chips.  Any other nut/chocolate/dried fruit combo would be tasty as well.  This dough also freezes well, and is great to have around "just in case."

Okay, hopefully this will be the last cookie for awhile.  (Unlikely)  New Years means a more healthy diet, right.....?  Right.....?  I guess I'd consider these mental health food, and that's important too....



Chocolate-Mint Cookies
(adapted from Troy Wormsbecker)
Makes 3 dozen

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 oz melted bakers chocolate (unsweetened)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups Andes mints, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (mini work great)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, and both sugars until smooth.  Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in vanilla and melted chocolate.  Stir in flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder; mix well.  Stir in Andes mints and chocolate chips.  Scoop out a tablespoon of dough, roll into ball, and place them 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet.

Bake 8-10 minutes.  Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! And if you wanted to go local, I bet some chopped up Theo Mint Chocolate would be amazing as well...

    ReplyDelete