Monday, January 16, 2012

Cranberry & White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

Raisins are lame.  I'm sorry, they just are.  I like grapes.  I like wine.  It's the dried-out stage I don't enjoy.   (Old grapes should be left on the vine and used for ice wine, and not raisins, just my opinion.)  For my current cookie craving I wanted an oatmeal cookie, but no raisins.  To quote a friend, "Raisins are the bits that should be chocolate and aren't.  A disappointment."



Now craisins, however, are completely different.  You might find this hypocritical, but... it makes perfect sense to me.  I once had a fantastic cranberry and white chocolate oatmeal cookie and was on a mission to make my own version.



Since I'm clearly not the type for an oatmeal raisin cookie (come on, they're always the ones left on the cookie tray, with the exception of the folks who took them thinking they were chocolate chip!), I had no standard base I used.  I found an interesting recipe from Anne Burrell from the Food Network.  Few tweaks, and voila, a tasty cookie!  Also to note, this is a thinner cookie due to the butter, and although I know that I've made it clear how I feel about crispy cookies, but this one definitely works.



I also have to note that this also seemed like a perfect, cozy cookie for this freaky, snowy weather we're currently having (seriously, snow in the Pacific Northwest = catastrophe!)  So, I'll just enjoy one of these cookies on the couch with tea in hand and kitties on the lap!



Cranberry & White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
(adapted from the Food Network)
Makes ~ 3 dozen

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup craisins

In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon and kosher salt.

In large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the brown sugar, granulated sugar and butter. Using an electric beater or the paddle attachment of the stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until it they are light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and beat them into the butter and sugar mixture. Add in the vanilla as well.

With a rubber spatula or with the stand mixer on low, gradually add the flour mixture into the butter/sugar mixture. Mix until just combined. Fold in the white chocolate and craisins.

Refrigerate dough for 1-2 hours, it's pretty sticky.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spoon the cookie dough by rounded tablespoon-size balls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Place the cookie dough balls 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet. Place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 12 to 13 minutes.

Let the cookies cool for 2 to 3 minutes and then transfer them to a cooling rack.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment